Archmere Holds On For Victory – Town Square Delaware LIVE

by Danica Brendon

The Archmere Auks secured their second victory of the season with a hard-fought win over the Delaware Military Academy (DMA) Seahawks at Fusco Stadium. DMA entered the game on the back of a dominant performance in their home opener, where they scored 54 points against an out-of-state opponent, Elkton.

Although the Seahawks took an early lead, the Auks managed to turn the tide and mount a successful comeback. In the first quarter, DMA capitalized on an Archmere punt after a three-and-out, starting their drive on their own 48-yard line. Quarterback Odell Teel handed the ball off to Edwards Emmens, who dashed 52 yards down the sideline for a touchdown.

The extra point was initially successful, but a penalty pushed the field goal attempt back 15 yards. On the retry, the kick veered wide left, leaving DMA with a 6-0 lead. However, Archmere responded strongly in the second quarter, scoring two touchdowns to take a 14-6 advantage into halftime.

On a crucial fourth-and-six from the six-yard line, Archmere quarterback Miles Kempski rolled right and found Cole Fenice in the corner of the endzone for a touchdown. Kempski then intercepted a pass from Teel a few minutes later, giving the Auks excellent field position. With just three seconds left in the half, Kempski connected with Gavin Lee on a 40-yard touchdown pass, extending Archmere’s lead.

It wasn’t until the middle of the fourth quarter that DMA managed to narrow the gap. Josh Roy scored on a one-yard run to make it a 14-12 game. On the initial two-point conversion attempt, the snap was mishandled, and Archmere tackled Teel for a loss. However, a penalty against Archmere provided DMA with another chance to convert the two points.

Teel handed the ball off to Roy, who was met at the goal line by a sturdy Archmere defense, preserving the Auks’ two-point lead. Archmere did its best to run down the clock, but DMA gained possession for one last chance to win the game.

With less than a minute remaining, the Seahawks attempted to mount a final drive. After a few plays, they found themselves within striking distance of victory. With just five seconds left on the clock, DMA lined up for a 43-yard field goal attempt. A successful kick would secure the win for the Seahawks. However, Archmere managed to penetrate the line and block the field goal attempt, sealing their 14-12 victory.

This hard-fought win showcases the determination and resilience of the Archmere Auks, who were able to withstand a strong challenge from the DMA Seahawks. The victory highlights the team’s ability to bounce back from adversity and secure crucial plays when it matters most. With their second win of the season, Archmere continues to establish themselves as a formidable presence in their league.

You may also like